I have a massive appetite and can count on one hand the amount of times that I have been able to resist food being offered to me! I have been trying to be more calorie conscious and the simple fact is that calories in should be less than calories out if you want to lose weight. Sounds a lot easier than it actually is but I figure that if you are having 3 meals a day and 21 meals over a week that if one or two of those are not completely healthy that is okay. Once you are eating well most of the time the scales will start shifting in the right direction.
I have been eating cauliflower rice as a substitute for rice recently and I find it a very filling and low calorie way of satisfying me. It really has no flavour so you need to season it really well and add chopped herbs and spices to give it a bit of zing. I would easily eat an entire head of cauliflower to myself but am sure if I had to share there would be a sufficient amount for two people!
Baked Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, wash and dry
- Either blitz (in batches) in a nutribullet, a high powered blender or simply grate until the cauliflower resembles couscous
- Spread out on a baking tray and add the oil and the cumin seeds
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, giving the tray a shake every 5 minutes
- Remove from oven, add the chopped herbs and serve immediately
I served mine with a fillet of hake which I had placed on a square of tin foil, drizzled over some sweet chilli sauce, parcelled up and baked in the oven for 20 minutes. Delicious and healthy!
Have you tried cauliflower rice before? What did you do with it? Did you like it?
Would love to hear from you!