I have had such a busy week which involved a wedding, a surprise 40th birthday party, St Patricks day and a joint 3rd/26th birthday party! So hard to find the time to keep my blog updated but I will always get around to posting my recipes eventually!
This carrot cake was so delicious that i made it two days in a row for two different parties. I came across the recipe while watching @sophiemichell on Market Kitchen and it looked so scrumptious I had to try it.
The cinnamon syrup that goes with it is divine and although the cake is supermoist anyways the syrup adds another gooey dimension!
1 orange (juice only)
250ml sunflower oil
225gr muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
1 orange (zest only)
250gr carrots grated
225gr self raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pecan halves to decorate
150gr mascarpone cheese
1 orange (zest only)
1 1/2 tsp orange juice
50gr icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and line two sandwich tins.
- Put the sultanas and orange juice in a small pot and bring to a simmer, leave for few minutes so sultanas absorb most of the juice then set aside to cool.
- Whisk the oil and muscavado sugar together to combine then whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the orange zest, carrots and drained sultanas.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and a large pinch of salt over the mixture and fold in.
- Divide mixture between the two tins and bake for 25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for ten minutes before removing onto wire racks to cool.
For the icing
- Beat all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Sandwich the two cakes using one third of the mixture and spread remaining on top.
- Decorate with the pecans
For the cinnamon syrup
- Place all ingredients in a pot with 250ml of water and stir over low heat until sugar is melted. Simmer gently until mixture thickens, set aside.
Drizzle over with cinnamon syrup just before slicing. It was absolutely gorgeous, definitely going to be one that i bake over and over again!